A snack is generally defined as any food eaten between meals. A snack portion should be enough to satisfy but not to so much that it interferes with your appetite for a main meal. Snacks can absolutely fit into your diet if you are trying to manage your weight. Having a plan on the type of snacks you pack for work and on the go will help diversify your food selection, vary the nutrients you get and keep you from getting hungry between meals. Remember, think nutrient-dense (fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals) and your snacks will help you get the nutrition your body needs and keep you full.
Here are 10 healthy delicious snacks to try:
- ¼ cup hummus and veggie sticks (carrots, celery, cucumbers, or peppers).
- 6-ounce container plain low-fat Greek yogurt with berries (strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries).
- 21 almonds, 12 walnuts halves, or 45 pistachio nuts.
- 1 small banana with 2 teaspoons peanut, sunflower, or almond butter.
- One ounce of dark chocolate (at least 70% cacao)
- 1 slice 100% whole grain toast (e.g., Melba or Ezequiel) with 1.5 Tbsp. peanut butter.
- 1 piece reduced-fat string cheese with 1 sliced apple.
- Low-fat cottage cheese with blueberries and a sprinkle of granola
- 1 hard-cooked egg and 1 slice 100% whole grain toast.
- 4 cups organic popcorn sprinkle with 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan or Nutritional Yeast
Be mindful while you eat. Make eating a relaxing break, away from your computer and work. Enjoy it!